Pack, Prepare, and Travel
What should I bring?
Your home is already supplied with
- Sufficient sheets, towels, pillows and blankets for the usual number of guests
- Dish detergent, laundry soap, toilet paper, paper towels, aluminum foil
- Some condiments and spices in most homes
- Dishes, pots, pans, coffee maker, toaster, and (usually) a blender
- Cable or satellite TV,
- Some homes have stereo with CD player (usually)
- Firewood (or pellets) and fire starters
You might want to bring along
- Extra towels if you have full occupancy, AND for beach, pool or spa use
- Any special spices, and cooking pans or utensils, if you plan to prepare a unique dish
- Charcoal for BBQ if applicable (propane is supplied for gas grills)
- High chair, playpen, port-a-crib, safety gate, etc.
- Small pool toys/equipment like goggles, fins, or kid's floaters (pool access is for Sea Ranch renters only)
- Dramamine for the windy road here, and back
You should definitely bring along
- Flashlight with fresh batteries (it gets REALLY dark up here)
- Road map for surrounding areas, which you have at least reviewed a bit--do not rely solely on your GPS or phone
- Jackets or sweatshirts for the cool nights and mornings
- Weather-appropriate gear (rain coats, boots, sun visor, etc.)
- Sense of adventure and excitement, and openness to something new!
You should leave behind
- Work, worry and pressure
- All pre-conceived expectations...it's always a bit different here than you thought it would be!
How do we find you?
Click here for detailed directions.
How far are you from San Francisco? Mendocino?
Approximately from Gualala
|Bodega Bay||1.5 hours|
|Fort Bragg||1.5 hours|
|Los Angeles||9 hours|
|Point Arena||20 minutes|
|San Francisco||3 hours|
|Santa Rosa||2 hours|
|Sea Ranch Lodge||15 minutes|
|Timber Cove||40 minutes|
What will the weather be like?
Typically January through March is either stormy or gorgeous. The variations are quite wonderful. April through June are often breezy and sometimes foggy. July and August are fairly foggy as the inland heat pulls in the fog layer over our coastline, though this often burns off in the afternoon. September and October bring the most comfortable vacationing weather with our €Indian€ summer. November and December are rainy and stormy as you might imagine.
For detailed weather reports check out weather for our area.
» back to top
Check In and Check Out
What if we are checking in after hours?
All arrivals are coordinated in advance with our helpful office staff and your Glad To Have You(TM) app. It's easy!
Can I have a late check-out or early arrival?
As long as the schedule allows we can usually accommodate some flexibility on your check-in or check-out times BY PRIOR ARRANGEMENT ONLY. Please call our office. 707-884-9601.
Can I leave the keys at the house when I check out?
All guests depart directly from the house. We ask that you call us to announce your departure or use your guest app check-out button, then secure the house per instructions found inside.
What if I realize I left something at the rental house after we check out?
We will gladly try to recover your lost item and ship it back to you for a $10 handling fee plus the cost of shipping. However, we cannot be responsible for any items left behind.
» back to top
House and Guest Rules
What is your cancellation policy?
As written in our rental agreement:
CANCELLATIONS/MOVING TO A DIFFERENT HOUSE UPON ARRIVAL
With at least fourteen days' notice of a cancellation, we will refund your deposit LESS a $20 cancellation fee. If you cancel your reservation with less than 14 days' notice prior to your arrival date, your deposit will be forfeited. With early departure, or cancellation of any of the reserved dates with less than fourteen days' notice, your deposit will be forfeited, and you will be charged for one-half the cancelled rent amount. If you wish to move to a house other than the one you booked, your initial deposit will be forfeited, and we will require an additional deposit be made on the new house. An additional $50 reservation fee will also be assessed. Should Coasting Home initiate the cancellation of a reservation or a relocation, these forfeiture terms do not apply. All terms subject to revision. Check with reservation staff for latest information.
What we expect of you:
- Respectful use of the house and grounds
- Use of a calling, credit card when making long distance calls if house does not provide long distance service (call office for details).
- Close the house according to our check-out instructions provided in each home
- Timely notification of any condition that needs repair or attention either during or after your stay
Clean up all personal effects, guided by common sense and courtesy:This is a summary of what you are expected to do prior to final check out. Excessive cleaning of stove tops, ovens, refrigerators, linens or extra amounts of laundry will be charged against your deposit at the rate of $35 per hour. Excessive amounts of garbage will be charged at a rate of $12 per large bag. If our staff has to relocate furnishings or equipment there will be an additional minimum $25 deduction.
- Launder or spot-clean linens/comforters/bedspreads if unusually soiled
- Wipe up spills as they occur
- Blot with a damp towel any spills on rugs or carpets and report them so we can clean promptly.
- Wash and put away all dishes (please don't put away dirty dishes, pots, or pans).
- Take your trash out to the outside cans.
- Turn off all heaters, electric blankets, appliances, etc.
- Set the spa temperature to 90 degrees (or mid-range); return sanitizing floater & thermometer to the water; and be sure the spa cover is secured.
- Be sure your last fire has burned down; DO NOT Start a new fire on your last morning.
- DO NOT remove any ashes from the fireplace or stove during your stay.
- Be sure you haven't missed any personal belongings (check for CD's and DVD's, medicine, clothing, etc).
- Finally, please verify that all windows and doors are completely closed, latched, and locked.
- If you rearranged or relocated ANY furniture or equipment please put it back as you found it.
What about children? ... Dogs?
Many of our homes welcome children, those that have recommendations are clearly noted. You can use our category search to find just what you're looking for. Are pets allowed in every home? Pets are allowed in some homes with an additional fee and those are very clearly noted. If you have allergies, please note that we cannot guarantee allergen free homes, though we do our best to make certain that our dog-free homes remain animal free for your comfort. Some homes have had cats in them, please read carefully when choosing your home.
Is smoking allowed?
Smoking is NEVER allowed in ANY of our homes.
» back to top
Where is the best place to eat?
A complete restaurant listing can be found here.
Where are the best beaches?
Some Things To Do
Which beach is closest to my home?
Check the page your home is listed on to find this information, or call our office. 707-884-9601.
What about hiking trails?
See our maps here or pick one up in our office.
Can we see whales?
The best time to see whales is during their migration from Baja California back toward Alaska, generally during March and April. But we see whales very often, as well as porpoise, orca and more!
Where is the nearest theater?
It's our anniversary/a special occasion...can you put flowers or wine in the home before we arrive?
We would love to help build the surprise for your special get-a-way. Just phone us a few days in advance and for a $10 charge plus the cost of wine and/or flowers, we'll make sure these items are delivered to your rental home. We have many wines to choose from in our local stores including local wines you'll be delighted to try. We have two florists in town Garden by the Sea 707-884-4223 and Flowers by Natasha 707-884-9414 both of whom make gorgeous bouquets.
I'm planning a big event/wedding...
It's best, when planning a big event, to give our office a call so that we can help guide you through the process of choosing the best home(s) for your group. Following are some local venues for special events you might like to consider:
- The Point Arena Lighthouse www.pointarenalightouse.com
- Gualala Baptist Church 707-884-4330
- The Sea Ranch Lodge www.searanchlodge.com
- Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden www.gardenbythesea.org
- St. Orres www.saintorres.com
- Gualala Arts Center www.gualalaarts.org
- Gualala Community Center 707-884-3179
- Annapolis Winery www.annapoliswinery.com
- In home massage?...Local Spa Services?
- Wellness On The Coast www.wellnessonthecoast.com
- Trink's www.trinkscafe.com